Thursday, November 22, 2012

The Good Stuff - Day Twenty-One


Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
Harriet Van Horne
"Not for Jiffy Cooks," Vogue magazine, 1956

Spent the day shopping and prepping for tomorrow's great feeding frenzy.  We are sharing the Thanksgiving holiday with relatives we don't get to see all that often.  So far we've been getting along splendidly, and while I have no reason to not expect that to continue, there are a few differences of opinion that showed themselves in the kitchen today.

I have always believed there are two kinds of people in the world ... those who like whole cranberry sauce and those that prefer the geletanus glob that comes outta a can.  I'm a geletanus kinda girl, how about you?  

My sister-in-law started making a pot of whole cranberry sauce with orange zest this afternoon.  Say it isn't so!  Funny, how you think think you know a person.  You come to love a person and see them as a sister and not just an in-law and then you come to find out just how diametrically different you both are.  I mean I still enjoy her company, but can we ever be really all that close again?  Next thing I know she'll be roasting the brussel sprouts instead of steaming the heck out 'em ...   oh, that's right that's what she's planning to do.  Should we pack up and go home? Should we stand our ground and insist on our way or the highway? 

 Well I guess we might be able to work things out.  She does make a mean pomegranate martini and after one (or two or three) of those the whole jelllied vs. whole cranberry thing doesn't seem all that deal-breaking anymore:)

Today's good stuff?
Those pomegranate martinis I mentioned :) 

1 comment:

Jill said...

I hate to tell you this...but I like both, and even made it once (can't tell the difference against the canned variety), and, I hope this isn't the end of our friendship, but I LOVE roasted brussel sprouts!