Monday, November 5, 2012

The Good Stuff - Day Five

Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is.
German Proverb

I hate going to the doctor.  Always have and I am pretty convinced at this point I always will.  I hate needles and it seems like every time I go they want to draw blood.  Add to that, I fear repeating what happened a few years ago when I had to be taken by ambulance to the ER after a routine check up thanks to extremely high blood pressure.  Irrational?  Perhaps, but still very real for me none the less.

I recently heard that fear can be seen as the acronym F.E.A.R. (feeling emotions appearing real) I don't know if hearing that helped me or not, but I tried telling it to my inner scaredy cat when I went in for my checkup today.  My mantra became, "You can do this Mama Hen --- put on your big girl panties and stop being a big baby!"  I gotta admit, it was very unsettling seeing an ambulance taking someone out of my doctor's office as I arrived, but I tried to tell myself it was going to be okay and in the end it was for the most part.  I almost didn't even mind giving blood --- almost.


Today's good stuff?
My blood pressure was within the normal range. Woo hoo!

No comments: