Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Good Stuff - Day Eleven

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Author Unknown
 
I've never had a lot of friends.  As my blog header states, I am more of an observer of life.  I prefer to stand off to the side of things and make fun of people watch.  Making a friend requires me to step out of my comfort zone on the sidelines and that's just not something I care to do very often. Thank.you.very.much.

I took such a chance once with the Munchkin's Godmother.  Our lives have taken us in different directions since we first met and she and I aren't able to get together all that often, but I am sure she will always be a dear friend.

My bestest friend and I met in college many moons ago.  It is nearly impossible to put into words how much her friendship means to me.  I don't get to see or talk to her as much as I might like, but whenever we do it's like no time has passed and we pick up right where we left off the last time we spoke.  It's one of those blessings that comes along once in a lifetime and I never take it for granted.  (If you are reading this, I hope you know how I love ya buddy!)

Through the years I've had some other people come and go in my life.  I guess I could go as far as calling some of them friends.  They came along during certain "seasons" of my life and just like the seasons change and go on their merry way, so did they.  Some I will never forget and some --- if I am being honest --- I would just as soon not remember.

Right now I am in yet another season of my life --- the homeschooling season.  I recently met a woman at a local event for homeschoolers.  Our daughters instantly clicked and we realized that in a way, so did we.  We found ourselves sharing bits and pieces of our life stories and philosophies on homeschooling.  It was a pleasant surprise discovering just how much we had in common. 

Today she invited the Munchkin and I to see a local theater production of Fiddler on the Roof that she and her daughter were performing in.  I don't know what exactly I was expecting, but let's just say it far exceeded my expectations! I would go as far to say in was incredibly awesome!  (The Munchkin concurs)  Apparently she had held back a bit of personal info --- as it turns out she was once had a  professional career in music.  What a cowinky dink!  Something we else had in common --- beautiful singing voices --- not 'Tis true my vocal stylings may be far from beautiful (as my best friend can attest) but I can still appreciate true talent when I hear it.

I will never have another best friend.  That is a lifetime position held only by one of the most special people in this world.  I am eternally grateful for her friendship and love.  I'm also grateful for the other people who come and go in my life and bless me, even if only for a short time, with their friendship too.  I pray that I am a blessing to them as well.

 
Today's good stuff?
Spending some one on one time with The Munchkin --- Something I need to make time for more often

No comments: