Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Good Stuff - Day Eight

Dare to reach out your hand into the darkness, to pull another hand into the light.
Norman B. Rice

Once  a week my mother and I go to a grief sharing group at a local church.  We went the first time because we were invited by an old friend.  Since we were in fact grieving,  we didn't think it could hurt.  We agreed to give it a try for at least a week or two.  It wasn't too bad.  I might even say it helped in some ways --- especially in normalizing some of the feelings we are experiencing --- but that's not the whole reason we continue to go.  The big reason we go is for the others in the group.  Mom and I have a pretty strong support system as we go through our grief journey.  Sadly, this is not the case for the others in the group.  I can't go into specifics about their losses, but I can say they majority of them are facing their grief alone and without the support of loved ones.  Our small group has become their lifeline as they brave the turbulent waters of grief.  Being able to provide something for them, has been the greatest gift to both Mom and I.  It's hard to see the good in losing and grieving someone you love, but being able to help others is definitely an unexpected blessing along the way.


Today's good stuff?
Reaching out to others and forgetting for a moment my own hurt as I help them deal with theirs.

No comments: