Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Good Stuff 2013: Day 12


Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6 (ESV)

The Geek and I recently attended a Bible study at our church that encouraged us to meet nightly for a "family huddle" ---  a time connect and grow as a family.  We decided it sounded like a great idea and have been coming together every night at bedtime to share the high and low points of our day with each other.  We also read a Bible story and talk about how it applies to our lives.

The little chicklets love it just as we thought they would.  We hoped Boy Wonder would participate too, but he is a teenager, so we had a little dash of doubt.  We have been pleasantly surprised.  There has been no resistance at all.  He hasn't always had a lot to share and we've respected his silence, praying that someday he would open up more.  Tonight we were witness to something that nearly brought tears of joy to our eyes.

We were rushed to call a quick family huddle so the littles could get to bed at a decent hour.  The Geek was about to nix the reading for the night.  Highs and lows were shared and he was about to  head right to bedtime prayers.  All of a sudden Boy Wonder grabs the Bible story book and asks if he could read this evening.  "Of course," we said.  He smiled and began to read.  He didn't just read though --- he told a story.  He used different voices for each character, he asked questions to ensure the story was being comprehended and he shared his own knowledge.  

Sometimes I wonder if what I do is making a difference in my kiddos lives.  I long to see if the things I am teaching them are being remembered or just going in one ear and out the other.  Tonight I was blessed to see that they are listening and watching.  I was rewarded for my patience and can only imagine what I will get to see in the days, months and years to come.

the good stuff --- having a front row seat to my son's faith in action

No comments: