Thursday, July 7, 2011

You Can Quote Me On This

"Words matter always ... in all ways."
Joseph Heywood

I love reading quotes.  I don't know why exactly, but there is something about them that draws me to them like a moth to a flame.  I love their ability to shrink down into a sentence or two, a book's worth of wisdom. 

"Knowledge is a process of piling up facts; wisdom lies in their simplification."
Martin H. Fischer

Quotes have the power to change me.

"Remember, if you’re headed in the wrong direction, God allows U-turns!"
Allison Gappa Bottke

To make me stop and see that my so-so day is really a great one. 

"Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, not because they never found it, but because they didn't stop to enjoy it." 
William Feather
 To make me smile or laugh just when I need it most. 

"A great name for a new country song: If I'd Shot You Sooner, I'd Be Out of Jail by Now."
Author Unknown

They give me confidence to meet the challenges life hands me. 

"If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." 
Vincent Van Gogh
 
They bring me comfort and solace in knowing I am not the only one who thinks/feels/sees life the way I do. 

"It's annoying to be disapproved of by people who know only half the story - especially when you're not sure which half they know." 
Robert Brault

I am not a quote snob by any means.  I like serious, thought provoking and enlightening quotes just as much as the off-the-wall and funny ones.

"Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
Author Unknown

Where I satisfy my addiction for quotes is as varied as the quotes themselves ... 

books,
"The world breaks us all. Afterward, some are stronger at the broken places."
 Ernest Hemingway- Farewell To Arms
 
television,
"Sometimes you have to step outside of the person you've been, and remember the person you were meant to be, the person you wanted to be, the person you are."
One Tree Hill

movies 
"There's no place like home."
Dorothy Gale (Judy Garland) in The Wizard of Oz

and song lyrics are some of my favorite sources.

"Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers." 
Garth Brooks

But the internet is by far my biggest enabler. 

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity."
Abraham Lincoln ( source:  Modern Hepburn )

As of late, I have been able to feed my need for words on "Pinterest" --- a very dangerous place for a word junkie like myself. 


 'Tis So Sweet

I can (and have) get lost on there for hours!  Just this morning the Munchkin said, "Oh no, you are on your computer again, now I'll never get breakfast!" Hmmm! Maybe there's a twelve step program for word-a-holics.  I don't know, but I sure love the Serenity Prayer... 

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

Reinhold Niebuhr



 

2 comments:

Jill Briggs said...

Teach that kid to get her own breakfast! Seriously, way back when I was in charge of the company newsletter, I always included a quote (I even have a few books--not just a couple--of quotes). I'm not so sure we weren't seperated at birth.

Pamela said...

Yes, I sometimes believe you are my long lost twin sister from a different mother:)

CONFESSION: The Munchkin usually gets her own breakfast. I had just promised to make it that morning ... but I just needed to take a "quick" look at Pinterest first. Before I knew it, I had been on a bit longer than I meant to ... it's soooooo addictive! To her credit, she was pretty patient and actually said she'd just have yogurt and toast if I wanted to keep working on my 'puter.