Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Grandparent's Love

I didn't have a grandparent in my life growing up.  Two of them had died long before I was born and one died shortly after.  My mother's father lived far away and wasn't really ever a part of my life either.  I was always jealous of the other kids talking about their grandmas and grandpas.  I know this is why I want my brood to know their grandparents.  I am always looking for ways to make their relationship stronger, but I never force things.  With my folks living right with us, opportunities are always presenting themselves...it really is a blessing beyond measure if you ask me.

My father has never been an overly affectionate man.  He's one of those quiet people that just sits back and takes in all that's going on around him.  In his younger days, he would show his love by doing ... fixing, repairing and building things for those he loved.  Now that he's older he can no longer do those things and I am sure that hurts him.

I love watching him with my chicklets.  He is much more affectionate with them than he ever was with me, but he's still hesitant.


It was so sweet watching him chatting with the Little Prince yesterday.  Several times I watched him as he reached out and stroked the little guy's hair or cheek. 


The love of a grandfather for his grandson was so evident.


 I will treasure these photos always.

Grandparents and grandchildren,
Together they create a chain of love
Linking the past,
With the future.
The chain may lengthen,
But it will never part.
Author Unknown

No comments: