Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I'm Melting!

It is so hot here on the farm...I am starting to fear Boy Wonder's chickens are going to be fried if this heat wave doesn't end soon! According to the weatherman (who is no longer one of my favorite people) high temps are going to be around at least another week. Yikes!  I am a delicate flower and cannot take this kind of serious heat and humidity.  Okay, okay .. so delicate may be stretching it a bit ... I'm more of a hardy mum ... but still this hot weather is kickin' me in the patootie nonetheless!
With no break in sight, we decided to load up the chickies in the family truckster this past weekend and go for a ride in air conditioned comfort.  We ended up in a small harbor town that was having a soap box derby race. 


What a hoot! It was open to all ages with the oldest competitor being in his seventies.  We had a blast cheering on our favorites.  No surprise here ... The Geek and Boy Wonder are already planning their entries for next year.  The Munchkin has even requested her own vehicle with the following specs: it must be pink or red and it must sparkle. A girl's gotta have sparkle don'cha know!
After a few hours at the races, we continued on our trek.  The weather was picture perfect beach weather so we found a local beach and staked our claim for a few hours.


If I ever strike it rich I am soooooo buying a secluded place on some beach.  The crowds I can do without, but there's something about my toes in the sand and the sound of the waves that soothes my inner beast.
It was with much whining and protesting  --- I just couldn't help myself :) --- that we headed for home.  It was one of those perfectly perfect summer days you just want to bottle up and save for the dead of winter.
 

But all good things must come to an end so we headed home ... sun kissed and sleepy with a bucketful of memories to last us until our next big adventure.


"Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it."
Russel Baker

No comments: