Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Good Stuff 2014 - Day Four

Gratitude... can turn a meal into a feast.
Melody Beattie

Recently I decided to let each one of my littles be responsible for making dinner one night per week.  They come up with the menu and make sure everything they need is on hand.  Boy Wonder can pretty much do everything himself, but the other two still need a fair amount of guidance --- especially the littlest little.  My hope is not only to lighten my load, but to give them skills they can use for a lifetime.
So far their contributions have ranged from a simple hot dogs and boxed mac & cheese to a belly filling stuffed cabbage.  I love how how all three of them have welcomed the idea and seem to want to challenge themselves and stetch to create more complex meals each week.
I started this idea on a whim as another in a long line of teachable moments here on the farm.  I  thought it would just be my chicklets that would be learning, but I have too.  I have learned that while it might be easier (and neater) to just do things myself, watching my children grow and gain confidence is worth the mess.

today's good stuff:
the little details --- like personalized placecards showing what each family member loved -- that the munchkin took the time to put into her meal presentation

No comments: