Sunday, July 29, 2012

Fair Week 2012 - Saturday


We came. We saw. We had fun.

Another Fair Week has come and gone.  I'd be lying if I didn't say I was ready for it all to be over, but I'd also be lying if I didn't say in some ways I hate to see it end. It is fun to see the animals, watch the chicklets do their projects, eat fair food and just soak up all the excitement that is fair.  It's also very tiring and stressful to be away from home so much, especially now that Lady Bird and the Piano Man are living with us full time. 
I know the cousins are sad to see it all end too.  They are already making plans to return next year and I pray things work out that they can.  I must admit I envy them and the memories they will have of this time of their lives.

The Last Day of Fair Week 2012 ---Saturday, July 28th:
  • Today was the big awards ceremony in the Show Arena.  Boy Wonder was awarded trophies for his Reserve Grand Champion honors in both Photography and Public Speaking.  That's a grand total of 4 trophies and 16 ribbons for him.  6 ribbons for the Munchkin.  1 ribbon for the Geek and 5 ribbons for Mama Hen --- not too shabby, eh?
  • Our fair has the usual fair food offerings most county fairs do --- corn dogs, nachos, cotton candy and overpriced soda, but it also has something more.  A local catering company offers an all-you-can-eat dinner buffet in the main fair building.  We have eaten dinner every night this week and have only good things to say.  The cost is reasonable and the food is awesome.  The all-you-can-eat part was really great considering we were caring and feeding two teenage boys this week.
  • Tonight's entertainment was watching the Motocross event at the Crater.  Boy Wonder has a friend that competes in it and I always hold me breath when he's on the course.  Unfortunately, he had a bit of a crash early on in his race and was run over by a another competitor.  He was able to walk away, but by the time we saw him the adrenaline was wearing off and he was starting to feel a lot of hurt. 
  • Earlier in the day, the Munchkin and I were hanging out in the 4H activities tent playing checkers to pass the time.  A group of young boys came in and one of them struck up a conversation with us.  The most talkative one (who looked to be about 6 just like the Munchkin) said he was "with the carnival" and could get the Munchkin on the rides for free if she wanted.  I thanked him for his offer and quickly got us outta there before the Munchkin had time to set up a rendezvous.  My baby girl is so not hanging with a "carny" if I have anything to say about it.  What's that saying, "Never say never" ??? Well, fast forward several hours later, and the teens were taking her on a few carnival rides.  The Munchkin spots the young man and his posse from earlier in the day and says "Hey I know that kid --- he can get us free rides!" At that point, according to the teens, he recognized her and offered the free rides as promised.   The Munchkin accepted his offer without hesitation and he flashed his ID badge to the ride attendant and he and the Munchkin went on a  free ride on the Twister (with the teens chaperoning we were assured.)   Can I just take a moment and say, "Heaven help me! My 6 year old daughter is getting free carnival rides from a 6 year old carny-in-training.  OMG!"  The Geek and I are still trying to come to grips with this development and all that it foretells of the future ahead of us.  We are in for a rough ride with that one, folks.  A veeeeeeeeeeeeery rough ride.  Pray for us. Please. We need it :)
A Look Ahead to Tomorrow:
  • The boys are all getting up at the crack of dawn to head back to the fairgrounds to pick up the birds and help clean up.  The girls and I will be sleeping in thank.you.very.much. 

1 comment:

Jill said...

I think it best if a certain 6-year old stay away till the carnies clear out.