Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Veggie Tales

One of the things I love most about August is the abundance of locally grown fresh vegetables.  Nothing compares to eating corn on the cob for dinner that was still on the stalk in the morning.  I've never eaten a store bought cucumber that tastes as good as one from my local farmer's market.  Don't even get me started on the virtues of farm fresh vs. hot house tomatoes! 

We have tried to grow our own, but we've been "blessed" with the clay soil that refuses to grow anything but weeds.  Every spring we plot out and prepare our garden.  We head to the local garden center and eagerly pick out a bevy of vegetable plants.  We plant our little plants and envision the harvest we will reap in late summer ... and every year we are disappointed.  What rabbits and deer don't eat, doesn't grow despite our best efforts. 

Well to be honest, there's a bit more preparation we could do.  We could get a load of compost and amend the soil ... but we always seem to never be able to find the time.  One of these years maybe we'll give up on the whole idea of a garden, but I doubt it.  It's that hope of things to come that keeps us in the game.

Kind of a metaphor for life, don't cha think? 

This is God's Word on the subject: ... I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11
The Message (MSG)

No comments: