Monday, August 15, 2011

Junk in the Trunk

I need more "stuff" for the ol' farmstead as much as I need a hole in my head, but I just can't resist a good estate/garage sale and this past weekend there was a doozy of a sale.  It was similar to the World's Longest Garage Sale but not nearly as long.  However, at almost 200 miles it was pretty impressive.  We didn't manage to "do" the whole thing, but I'd say we got in over 100 miles of it.
This was probably the most unusual item we saw while out and about:


Did we get some junk?  Some might think so, but you know what they say,"One man's junk is another man's treasure"  (Incidentally, I looked up the meaning of  "junk in the trunk" just to make sure it didn't have some  obscene meaning I wasn't aware of  ... you never know with slang ... and one of the definitions was "one man's junk is another man's treasure" ... too funny!)

Here's a some of the "treasures" we collected along the way ...
  • 2 toy horses
  • a Barbie doll ... free
  • 4 children's Christmas books ... for my ever growing collection
  • 1 pretty pinkalicious princess dress (actually a circa 1980' prom dress)
  • several car emblems/hood ornaments including a prized Mustang ... for Boy Wonder's bedroom walls 
  • a baby doll
  • a sundress
  • a Little Mermaid DVD ... only 25 cents!!!
  • a cabinet for the bathroom (blog post and before/after pics coming soon)
  • a dresser top hutch (for another project I'll blog about later)
  • 2 free toy trucks
  • 1 free "Lurkey the Turkey" Beanie Baby ... people use to pay top dollar for those, now they're giving them away!
  • a Pyrex pie plate (the brood says it's time to bring back Friday Pie Day)
  • several Matchbox cars
  • a beautiful sterling silver & ruby ring ... free because the shop owner thought the Munchkin had a pretty smile
  • several vintage pillowcases at a price I couldn't refuse ... $1.00 for the lot
  • a Phil Collins CD ... needed some tunes for the ride:)

and this sweet milk glass butter dish ... I have become a firm believer that if you can't use it there's really no point in having it. That said, I already own one of these, but unfortunately it is showing some serious wear and tear. I couldn't refuse this replacement at a whopping $2.00! By the way, it's sitting on a vintage apron the gentleman threw in when I purchased the vintage pillowcases. How could I refuse?


We treated the older chicklets to a few runs down a big slide we passed along the way. I remember going to the one at our local mall when I was a wee one. It's gone now except for the memories.  This stop was a definite highlight of the trip for the chicklets.

I am sure we spent more on gas then we did on our loot, but it was worth it.  It was such a lovely drive.  The chance to score some "treasure", forget about our "to-do lists" for a while and just enjoy the adventure made it an ideal way to spend a day. 

Forever is composed of nows.
Emily Dickinson




3 comments:

yesterday's girl said...

I can't believe you passed on the riding mower.

Jill Briggs said...

When I saw this via the news that this was going on in your neck of the woods, I was pretty sure you would be going. Yes, we were at the IN stage 2 days before the collapse.

Pamela said...

@yesterday's girl: Boy Wonder wanted the riding mower so bad, but it was quite expensive!

@jill briggs: you know me too well! i was worried about you ... so glad you guys are home safe and sound!