Wednesday, December 21, 2011

They're in the Mail!



Take perfect Christmas card photo.  Check.

Get 70 copies of Christmas card printed.  Check.

Stuff,  lick, seal, stamp and hand address all 70 copies (because you can't find address labels anywhere and you've gone to three stores and the Little Prince just cannot take another second in the car).  Check, check, check, and check.

Truck all those bad boys off to the post office and send them on their merry way.  Check.

Sit back and relax.  No check here lady ... you've got four days 'til Christmas and those presents ain't wrapping themselves, Mama Hen :)

Besides the not so great time that is getting our annual Christmas cards out, we've had a fun week. 

Monday night we went Christmas carolling with my brood's 4-H club.  While carrying lanterns the kids had handcrafted in previous years, we strolled around a senior citizen housing complex singing our hearts out.  The residents seemed to really enjoy our slightly off key ensemble.  Even though the weather cooperated and it was seasonably warm, the hot cocoa still was a welcome, warm treat at the end of the night.
  
It really was a lot of fun and I'd love to do this on our own next year.  I am sure the chicklets could recruit a friend or a family member or two to join us in song.  There are plenty of senior apartments and nursing homes around  and what a awesome way to spread God's love at Christmas. 

Yesterday, the Geek loaded all of us in the family truckster for a surprise looooooong road trip (almost 4 hours each way) to see a truly amazing Christmas light display.  Yes we are a little crazy, but we all think it was well worth the drive!  It was one of those things you have to see in person to fully appreciate, but you can check out this link to read about it.  Boy Wonder can hardly wait to recreate some of the spectacular splendor here on the farm.  We got a chance to talk to the creator of the display and he invited the Geek and Boy Wonder back next fall for a workshop to find out all the how-to's and what-nots, so who knows?  Maybe someday you'll be able to see our little homestead from space.

I keep hoping the elves will drop by and wrap the presents for me, but I am beginning to think I'm on my own.  Do ya' think the kids would care if I just slapped some bows on everything and called it a day?  Truthfully, they probably wouldn't, but it just wouldn't be the same on Christmas morning without the joyful mess.  I guess I  better go channel my "inner elf" and do some serious "wrap-itation".  What I really need to help my holiday spirit is a snowflake or two.  Seriously, it's hard to appreciate Christmas is only four days away when there's nary a speck of the white stuff in sight.  The weather man is saying it's probably not going to be a white Christmas this year, but I can still dream right?

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas,
Just like the ones I used to know,
Where the tree tops glisten
And children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow...
Irving Berlin

2 comments:

Jill Briggs said...

How fun! I thought maybe you went to Ann Arbor, I didn't even know this existed. Will we have to pay an entrance fee next year?

Pamela said...

If you like lights, you should definitely go sometime! We got there early and saw it by car, and then parked nearby and went back and saw it on foot.