Monday, June 20, 2011

Too Pooped to Post

"I am thankful for a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.... I am thankful for the piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are nearby."
Nancie J. Carmody

First of all, let me start by saying I LOVE having my parents living here with us.  As I have said in the past, the memories we are making will last a lifetime. I wouldn't trade 'em for anything ... but ... there are days that I feel like I have instantly gained two more children ... sometimes three, if the Geek is acting particularly childish :)  and let's just say tending to five (or six) young'uns is a bit more work than this ol' hen is used to.
 
My folks have always been extremely independent, but there seems to have been some major changes since their last visit.  At 85 and 87 years young, they both move a little lot slower, their minds aren't quite as sharp and their hearing is definitely not what it used to be.  I wouldn't say they are demanding, it's just that they require a lot more of my time than they use to.  I truly consider it a blessing to "be here" for them, but it often leaves me too pooped to post :) 

One very big change this summer is that they are eating dinner with us every night.  My mama used to insist on preparing all of their own meals.  We use to have to work around each other in the kitchen.  I tried getting them to eat with us, but she was insistent on doing it herself.  This year, however, she now has to use a walker most of the time and getting around has gotten more and more difficult.  The Geek and I were finally able to convince her and Daddy to just have dinner with us.  Seriously, it isn't hard to cook for two more.    It's been great fun to gathering around the big ol' harvest table every night with the whole gang.  We usually end up talking and laughing long after the dishes are done and the food is put away.  Priceless moments!  More memories I (and hopefully my chicklets) will treasure for always.

"We do not remember days; we remember moments." 
Cesare Pavese

I gotta tell ya, though, it's hard watching your Mama and Daddy grow older and frailer.  I know my time with them on this ol' ball of mud is growing short and that makes me sad.  I can't imagine life without them in it.  I truly am blessed to have the opportunity to share my days with them now and for that I know I will be ever grateful.  So bear with me, I may be a bit sporadic on my posting from time to time.  It's just that I got a little memory making to attend to :)

"Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose."
Unknown

No comments: