Thursday, June 16, 2011

Happy Camper

Please welcome the latest addition to our family.


We have been a tent camping family for many many moons and unfortunately it ain't what it used to be.  The older the Geek and I get, the harder the ground feels on our bums!  Not to mention the bad weather (cold and wet) we've encountered our last few trips which have made sleeping in a tent even less and less appealing to this ol' hen.

"It always rains on tents.  Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent." 
Dave Barry

We have looked for a camper on and off for several years, but unfortunately none was ever in our price range -- free to super cheap.  That was until yesterday.  We were taking a quick run into town and saw this cutie for sale and we were smitten.  It's a 1978 Apache and is in excellent shape for it's age ... which is more than I can say for the Geek and I:)  It's water tank has never even been used and it spent most of it's life in inside storage.  It even has a brand new awning which I am sure will be a nice addition too on a bright sunshiny day. 

I know it's not much but we can hardly wait to make it our home away from home. The chicklets are already staking claim as to who gets which bed and I am envisioning new curtains.  I'm a lover of all things vintage, but even I have my limits.  While the current curtains are barely worn, they are way too dark and dated for my tastes. I'm thinking maybe something really cheerful like green gingham.  

“My heart is at home in the great outdoors.”
Unknown

I am giddy anticipating all of the adventures we will have with it.  I have fond memories of camping with my family as a child and I look forward to making memories with my own brood.  It will be a perfect opportunity to continue to instill in them an appreciation for God's handiwork all around us.

 "God writes the gospel not in the Bible alone, but on trees and flowers and clouds and stars. "
Martin Luther

Oh, and of course there's the s'mores too.  I mean, seriously, I would consider myself a failure as a mother if my children left home without the capability of creating the perfectly roasted marshmallow treat :) 

2 comments:

Pam Shira said...

What an awesome find. More material for your blog too.
Your blog is pure Pamela, I love reading it and am thinking I might give it a try. Pam

Pamela said...

Give it a try Pam ... you'll love it! Let me know if you do:)
Glad you've enjoyed reading my little ol' blog.