Wednesday, June 1, 2011

C'mon In The Door's Open

We labor to make a house a home,
then every time we're expecting visitors,
we rush to turn it back into a house. 
Robert Brault

My house will never grace the pages of Home Beautiful but it's a beautiful home to me.  There is evidence of life being lived, really lived here every where you look.  Toys and books mingle with art supplies on every available surface.  There's always a dish or two (or three or four) that needs washing in the sink.  The laundry basket is never empty no matter how many loads I do.  But you know what, my brood and I are comfortable here and God-willing we will be here for many moons to come. 

In the past, I have hesitated t0 encourage "drop-in guests".  I much preferred a minimum of a day or two so I could get my home in order.  To make it more of a house, if you will.  But something has changed within me as of late.  It's not just the fact that we are doing a much better job of controlling the excessive clutter.  Believe me the clutter is far from completely gone.  I think a major part of it has to do with my sister's death.  She and I had several conversations through the years about what we would do "someday", but unfortunately her "someday" was cut drastically short.  It was a real wake-up call that my "someday" is now.  You've probably heard that song by Tim McGraw, "Live Like You Were Dying" right?  Well, I am not doing it in a morbid sense, but my sister's passing made me realize that we don't know when our time here is through and I don't want to cheat myself out of the opportunity for "unexpected guests" like this sweet visitor we had today here on the farm.


Isn't she a cutie patootie?  This is my great-great niece.  She and my sister (her great grandma) dropped by for an unexpected visit today and we gladly welcomed them into our home.  It was far from spotless, but it didn't make one bit of difference.  We talked, we laughed and we enjoyed each other's company. In other words, it was just perfect. 

So if you're ever in the neighborhood, c'mon by.  The door is always open and there's a pitcher of ice cold lemonade waiting in the fridge :)

No comments: