Tuesday, April 9, 2013

"Too True!" Tuesday - Words to Live By

“The eyes of others our prisons; their thoughts our cages.”
Virginia Woolf

This quote pretty much speaks for itself, doesn't it? Bottom-line --- worrying about how others see us or think about us holds us back. More often than not, I suspect, this worry is completely unfounded and self-imposed.

I don't know about you, but I've let this kind of thinking keep me "prisoner" from time to time. I shudder to think about the opportunities I've let slip by because I worried what people would think. It isn't always easy, but I am doing my best to put those kind of limiting thoughts behind me. Don't get me wrong --- I'm not becoming selfish and placing my wants above all and forgetting about the needs of others others. I am just making the effort to not let negative self talk and doubt get in the way of fully experiencing the life God has blessed me with.

Eleanor Roosevelt really nailed it when she said:

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Too true!

No comments: