Friday, April 19, 2013

The Need to Create



Creativity takes courage.
Henri Matisse

Creativity is very important here on the farm. It is encouraged --- nurtured --- fostered. My refrigerator is full of artwork by all three of my future Rembrandts. The Munchkin, whose current passion is to become the next Vera Wang, carries a sketchbook with her wherever she goes so as to be on the ready whenever the next inspiration for fashion innovation should happen to strike. Boy Wonder spends countless hours designing copious amounts of future vehicles for the Big 3 on his laptop.  He is also an accomplished photographer and is currently plotting his first mystery novel. Even the Little Prince creates intricate vignettes with his farm animals --- acting out complex story lines that  --- for the most part --- only he understands.

The Geek and I try to make our home an environment that stimulates creative tendencies in our chicklets, but I often fail to nurture it in myself. This blog is a very important creative outlet for me.  Unfortunately, writing often falls prey to the time stealers of my day. Laundry, cooking, running errands --- these are all very important tasks. Life requires them, but life also requires the opportunity to create. Sadly, this is something I tend to push aside or forget on a personal level.  And when I forget my life suffers.  Heck, everyone suffers.  It's the ol' "if mama ain't happy" thing.

While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness.
Gilda Radner
Being creative, and how I do that, makes me who I am --- it gives me life. Each of my littles show it in their own unique way as well -- drawing, acting, photography.   For myself, writing is definitely my favorite creative expression. It has become such a part of me that when I don't do it  I am a major grum-pa-lum-pa-gus.  Just ask the Geek.

source: pinterest
be sure to check out aimee's art here --- she is my latest inspiration!

A few weeks ago, I signed up for a drawing class at a local art studio. My mom admonished me for adding one more thing to my “to-do list” and honestly, wasn’t it a little late in life to take up a new art form? Thankfully, I did not let her criticism allow the inner artist in me to be snuffed out. I don’t have delusions of being the next Van Gogh, but I am so much more at peace now that I am making it a point to make time for creativity in my own life. 

Creativity takes courage.
There is so much truth in those words! Courage to let go of the fears and doubts that hold you back. Courage to make your need for creative expression a priority. Courage to not let those around you dissuade you from letting you discover the creative genius you are. Courage to be the gloriously unique person God made you to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so right about creativity taking courage. There's nothing scarier than a blank canvas or page. At the same time you are driven to create...no wonder artists are nuts.
I miss the munchkin.