Wednesday, September 28, 2011

When Will I Learn?

My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.
Michel de Montaigne

I have a confession to make.  I am a worrier.  I come from a long line of worriers ... I am sure it's genetic.   My mother is a worrier of epic proportions and (unfortunately) I blossomed under her tutelage.   On the plus side, I am not nearly as bad as my mother, but sadly I still succumb to it much more than I should. 

I know it's wrong.  I know I shouldn't do it, but I'm only human and it gets the best of me.  The worst part, I know nearly all of what I worry about will never come to pass and all I'll have done is wasted precious time for naught.   When will I learn?

The Geek made it home safely from his business trip despite driving six hours in the dark through pouring rain.  My worry had absolutely no bearing on his safety.   "Single Parenting" for the duration of his trip turned out to be a rather easy task.  Once again, my worrying had no impact on that.  And jury duty that I had been called to... the same one I fretted about how I was going to manage to do it and take care of the kids if the Geek was unable to work from home ...  well, it was a bust as I was dismissed and sent home before lunch.  Worrying about it didn't change a thing, except to give me a big ol' headache beforehand.   When will I learn?

They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but I sure hope they are wrong.  Like the Munchkin's favorite Sunday School song says, "Jesus loves me this I know!"  I may be weak, but He is strong.  I pray that with His strength, this ol' hen might finally learn to "Let Go and Let God"

Miracles can happen, right?

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength.
Corrie Ten Boom

1 comment:

yesterday's girl said...

So you worry about worrying. I can relate.