Friday, August 8, 2014

My Favorite Day



“What day is it?"
"It's today," squeaked Piglet
"My favorite day," said Pooh
A.A. Milne

Do you have a favorite day of the week? Many moons ago when I worked outside the home, I loved Fridays. When the clocked struck five, I was free until Monday. Free to have fun. Free to satisfy a bit of the wanderlust in my soul. Free to stay up late or sleep in. Free to be me.

Now that I am home full-time, I don't get that sense of freedom in quite the same way anymore. I am on the clock 24/7 around here :)  I'll admit there are days where I long for that Friday Feeling once more. It's then that I remind myself what I have now is even better. Staying at home and homeschooling my littles gives me the freedom to make any day a "Friday" if I want to.  

Being a stay at home Mama Hen also gives me the perfect excuse to have fun. My chicks are always game for a bit of silliness and game-playing. This is actually one thing I would like to do a little more often than I do. I have been letting all the seriousness of being a grown up get in the way lately.  Note to self:  Loosen up already and act childish once in a while --- your heart will love you for it and so will your kids!

Now that I am no longer tied to a desk during the week, road trips aren't just for weekends anymore. Sunny day? How about a field trip, Chicklets? And who says meals have to be eaten at the kitchen table? My crew knows every park and roadside picnic table within a 50 mile radius --- maybe even 100 miles. I love that because he works from home,  most days I can count on The Geek to join me on my mid-day quest to just go somewhere ... anywhere. We leave our cares behind for a few stolen moments and run an errand or two --- some real, some imaginary, but all necessary for my sanity nonetheless.

I have never been a morning person. I like to stay up late and lose myself in a good book or movie on TV until the wee hours. While I was doing the 9 to 5 gig, I had to save that for Friday and Saturday nights only or I'd pay dearly when the alarm clock went off. Now I can stay up late almost any time I want. No more 5 a.m. wake up calls for me --- especially with littles that are long past needing early morning feedings or diaper changes. And if I'm a little tired from staying up past my bedtime? I can squeeze in an afternoon cat nap without worrying about the boss finding me asleep at my desk.

I think what I like best about my days now are that they are mostly mine to choose what I want to do with. Granted there are many things I have no control over. Taking care of things around the house, the kiddos and my mama takes up a lot of my waking hours, but I still get to choose (for the most part) when and how I spend my time and that makes just about every day my favorite day of the week.



No comments: