Sunday, May 19, 2013

Finding Normal

My life has been anything but normal lately.  Ok truthfully my life has never been normal per se, but as of late it has been even farther south of normal than --- well, normal.

The Geek has been working hellacious hours and is in an extremely stressful period at work.  My mother seems to require more of my assistance with each passing day.  The Little Prince is growing up but not as fast as he thinks he is --- " I can do it myself Mama!" is a constant refrain lately.  There are moments where I just wish we didn't have to deal with power struggles.  Did I mention that Boy Wonder will get his Driver's Permit this week?  Yeah, that's enough to freak me out just a tad.  To top it off  the Munchkin has been channeling her inner diva the past few weeks --- heaven  help me when that girl reaches puberty and those mood swings.  Oh and speaking of mood swings --- it has come to my attention I may (ahem) be suffering a few age related hormonal shifts of my own that might possibly be making me a bit of a pain in the patookis to be around at times.  I will neither confirm or deny those allegations, but I will say this, is it hot in here is it just me?

There have been days when I just want to scream,"God, enough already!  I need a little help here.  Helloooo!  Have you forgotten about me?  I am a Mama Hen on the edge and I need a bit of direction if you don't mind."  In fact I have done just that.   A lot.  A lot a lot.   And you know what His response has been?   Silence.  Absolutely nothing.  Zip.  Zero.  Zilch.  

Or at least that's what I thought.

Tonight I was flipping through the channels on the ol' idiot box and I landed on what appeared to be a cheesy little feel good movie --- Finding Normal starring Candace Cameron Bure.  I curled up and got ready to just veg out for a couple of hours.  I ended up actually enjoying the show.  I wouldn't say it was life changing, or at least I didn't think I would have.  Turns out it just may have been.  In the last thirty seconds of the movie one of the main characters says something along the lines of:
Too many people waste their lives waiting for a God who shouts, instead of listening to one who whispers.
I think I resemble that remark!

I've been sitting around waiting for God to raise his voice above the constant cacophony (always wanted to use that word in a sentence!) that surrounds my life.  I've been thinking the Big Guy upstairs has been silent when in fact He's been whispering all the time --- I just didn't shush up long enough to listen.

I'm listening now and I can't wait to hear what He's got to say!

There are times that we pray yet we don't seem to get an answer.  We get frustrated not realizing that God answers prayers in His time not ours.  Don't give up on God;  He hasn't given up on you.
Elmer Laydon

No comments: