Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Finding Peace


There are times where I will hear a certain message (for lack of a better word) over and over.  I'll read a quote and think I like that.  Before I know it, I'm hearing a story driving home the same thing once again and I find myself thinking, "Hmmm, I wonder if the Big Guy upstairs is trying to tell me something?" 

Serenity isn’t freedom from the storm, but peace within the storm.

This very thing has been happening to me lately.  I keep hearing quotes and reading inspiring emails and blog posts that are all driving home a point near and dear to me --- the importance of finding a place of peace.  A place to slow down, breath and just be.

None is richer than he who simply has peace of mind.

I gotta admit, such a place is not easy for me to find right now.  And if ever I needed such a place, now would be the time.  The stress of being a caretaker of five people plus myself  ---  and occasionally the Geek if he's acting especially childish;) --- is taking it's toll.   No doubt about it folks,  I need me some peace and I need it now!

Serenity Now! Serenity Now!
Frank Costanza from the show 'Seinfeld'

So the question is where does one find such a place?  What about you?  Where to you go to catch your breath and be still?  What do you do that helps you quiet your soul?

Sadly, I have been putting finding peace at the bottom of my mile long to-do list.  As much as I need it, I just can't seem to make the time or place for it as much as I should.  If I'm lucky, I get a few moments to myself every evening after everyone has fallen asleep and I take a shower.  It's easy to spend the time going over all that didn't get done and all that needs my attention the next day.  There are sometimes, however, I am able to let my mind drift and when I do, I picture my ideal place of peace.  A place I don't get to very often in reality --- a rocky bluff overlooking the shores of Lake Superior in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.   On those rare occasions I can shut off my racing mind,  I close my eyes and I can hear the waves crashing.  I breath deeply and I feel the tension lifting.  For a few moments I allow myself to just "be".

Empty your mind of all thoughts. Let your heart be at peace.
Lao Tzu

I  am also trying to make a habit of finding little moments of joy throughout my day.  A while ago I started a photo project where I challenged myself to take at least one photo every day of something that brings me happiness.  I even started a blog about it here.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to post as much as I had planned, but I have continued to take photos of the happy minutia in my life.  Taking snapshots like this force me to slow down, focus on living for a moment and maybe, just maybe. bring a little peace to my weary soul.



 

No comments: