Friday, October 7, 2011

Where I Belong

Sometimes I wonder ...

... what would have happened if I hadn't gone to college.

... what would have happened if I hadn't taken that job at the beach that summer to help pay for college.

... what would have happened if I had decided not to go to that party with people from the beach.

... what would have happened if I'd never had the nerve to ask him out.

... what would have happened if he hadn't said, "Yes."

... what would have happened if I had not decided to switch colleges (and majors for the bazillionth time)

... what would have happened if we hadn't said,, "I do."

... what would have happened if we had decided to wait just a while longer to have kids.

... what it would have happened if we hadn't had any.

... what it would have happened if we had stopped at one ... or at two.

... what it would have happened if I was still working outside the home.

... what it would have happened if the kids weren't home schooled.

No matter what I wonder about, I know I am one of the luckiest people in the world. When it all comes right down to it, I realize all my choices have led me to where I am today. And although sometimes I wonder if I am going to lose my sanity, there's really no need to wonder ... I'm right where I should be.

Sometimes a song says it best...

Don't really know how I got here
But I'm so glad that I did
And it's crazy to think that one little thing
Could have changed all of it
Maybe it didn't turn out like I planned
Maybe that's why I'm such a lucky woman
For every stoplight I didn't make
Every chance I did or I didn't take
All the nights I went too far
All the boys that broke my heart
All the doors that I had to close
All the things I knew but I didn't know
Thank God for all I missed
Cause it led me here to this.

lyrics from Darrius Rucker's "This"
slightly paraphrased  by yours truly :)

Twenty-two years ago today, I was blessed to be able to marry my best friend. I went to a wedding this past summer and the maid of honor gave a toast to the bride and groom. She said life is like a roller coaster and it's important to have someone right next to you on the wild and crazy ride to laugh with at the peaks, cry with in the valleys and hold on tight to in the twists and turns. I've got that and that's something I never want to take for granted.

Happy Anniversary Geek!
You're my best!

No comments: