Friday, October 21, 2011

Smitten with Knittin'

"Really, all you need to become a good knitter are wool, needles, hands, and slightly below-average intelligence. Of course, superior intelligence, such as yours and mine, is an advantage."
Elizabeth Zimmerman


My niece and I are taking knitting lessons at a local yarn shop.  I didn't want to at first.  I could think of a hundred excuses why now was not a good time to learn how to knit.  Money's tight, we only have one car, the house is a mess, my butt's too big ... you get the drift.  But then I remembered my birthday challenge to myself, specifically pushing myself to try new things and finding more time for me.  I said yes and I am so glad I did.  
 
Do you knit or crochet?  I taught myself to crochet several years ago, but never really got into it until now.   This time around,  I have discovered that knitting is more than just a piece of string and a couple of pointy sticks. I have found that when I sit down and knit, the load of stress upon my shoulders starts to lighten.  There's something magic about the steady repetion of stiches that soothes me. ***
 
"In the rhythm of the needles, there is music for the soul."
Unknown
 
I've also found that the lessons are so much more than just a few woman gathered around a table armed with patterns, needles and bunch of yarn.  These sessions are a safe haven where women  can share their ups and downs of life with one another.  A place where someone will really listen to your stories and laugh (or cry) with you.  There is a camaraderie there that forms so quickly and so naturally, I've never experienced anything like it before in my life. 
 
"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit, either."
Elizabeth Zimmerman

***  I should note, that at this point when I drop a stitch or knit when I shoulda purled, (as I have far too many times ... grrrr!) the whole relaxation thingy sorta flies out the window.  I am trying hard to learn to just let go and enjoy the act of knitting and accept that sometimes things don't go as you plan.  Sometimes you can fix things, but sometimes you just have to make a new beginning ... wow, another one of those metaphors for life :) 

No comments: