Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ode to Joy


I was surfing the 'net the other day and came across a blog that asked the question,"What brings you joy?"  Oh that's an easy one I thought right away, but then almost immediately I drew a blank.  Seriously, I couldn't think of something that brought me joy. I mean I could think of a few things that I like, but joyful?  That was a stumper.   So I did what I often do when my brain cell ceases to function, I asked The Geek, "Hey dude, what brings me joy?" and his answer was somewhat unsettling.

"Well," he said, "you're not exactly what I would call a joyful person lately."   I honestly don't think he was trying to be mean, but I could barely contain myself.  I wanted to yell, "Say what?  I'm not joyful? What the heck does that mean, Bucko?  C'mon over hear and say that to my face Mister!" Oh yeah, he just did.  But by the grace of God, I held myself in check and gave it some thought.  Maybe the man does have a point and seriously, how sad is that?  I have been missing joy in my life.  But it might not just be about me.  Would lack of joy have an affect on my ability to be the wife, mother, sister and friend God has called me to be?  Whoa, this was turning out to be more than just a passing thought.  I began to see that I might actually have to do some serious soul searching.

So here I sit a few days later still trying to figure out:
  1. What makes me joyful?
  2. How can I get me some o'dat in my life pronto?
First of all, I have come to the conclusion this is so not an easy thing to figure out.  Nor will determining the answer guarantee me a lifetime of joy.  I mean some of what has brought me joy in the past is really not even relevant in my life today.  Add to that what brings me joy today, may not always cut it in the future.

Take for example shopping for antiques.  The Geek and I use to get such joy not only in taking home our treasures, but in the actual "hunt" itself.  Our last trip to an antiques store was anything but joyful.  Two chicks that let us know every two minutes they were bored and one chick that just wanted to touch everything within his little grasp.  Sooooo not joyful!

So what can bring this Mama Hen joy at this point in her life journey?  I still haven't quite figured it out, but I am working on it.  What I thought was such a simple question, really wasn't.  But then again maybe I'm trying to hard.  Maybe I just need to stop looking for the joy and just be.

Now and then it is good to pause in our pursuit of Joy and just be Joyful.
Anonymous

No comments: