Thursday, June 20, 2013

At Four


"The potential possibilities of any child are the most intriguing and stimulating in all creation."
Ray L. Wilbur

The biggest problem I have being a vintage mother (I much prefer "vintage" to older -- it just suits me better) is that at times my memory grows a little dim.  I don't necessarily forget important things, I just get around to them a bit slower.  Take acknowledging my youngest chicklets fourth birthday here on my blog.  Truthfully it happened a few weeks ago, but hey it's still his "birthday month" so at least I get some "mommy points" for that right?


At four the Little Prince...
... asks questions ... lots of questions ... lots and lots of questions

... tells me I am the best mama at least 5 times a day (and definitely after he's just been scolded)

... loves to play with his "people" -- a hodge podge collection of Fisher Price people and assorted plastic toy figures.  It's so fun to listen to the conversations he makes up.  My other two never did that.  Boy Wonder built elaborate cities with Legos and his Thomas train sets.  The Munchkin was (and is) always playing make believe with her little self the center of every production.  But getting lost in a land of make believe with toys? That one belongs to my little prince.

... loves his Grandma Minnie.  I never knew my grandma and always hoped my chicklets would have a relationship with theirs.  No worries there!  I love to walk by my mama's room and see her snuggled up in her recliner with the little man.  I know he loves her to pieces (and the fact that she has a steady supply of graham crackers and bought him sand for his sand box seals the deal!)

... loves water.  Drinking it.  Playing in it.  Taking showers in it.  If it involves water he's there.

... eats his veggies ... most of them anyway.  I don't know a lot of four year olds who love chunky guacamole and tomatoes, but mine does.  Mushrooms, broccoli and green beans are noshed on without resistance (unlike his big sister).  There's only a few vegetables that he has yet to develop a taste for --- raw onions and celery are at the top of the list -- so I can't complain.

... just about knows his ABCs and 123s.  Truthfully he'd probably have 'em down pat if his mama got her tush in gear and worked with him a bit harder.  That's on my to-do list for this summer --- I swear!

... loves "bad birds" (aka Angry Birds)  His birthday presents included a "bad bird" bike helmet, beach towel and a green pig piggy bank.

... is all boy and then some!  I swear this kid will be the death of me sometimes.  He is going from sun-up to sun-down.  He tries things I never think he would and I can only imagine the situations he gets into when I am not looking.  I pray God has an extra eye on this one!

... still has the most incredible baby blue eyes.  His Grandpa (whose middle name he shares) had notorious blue eyes too.  When I look into those eyes of his, it's hard not to melt!

... loves his big brother and sister.  He gets on their nerves like all baby brothers do, but underneath their exasperated exteriors, I'm pretty sure they love him too. 

... thinks his daddy rocks.  I can't tell you how many times he tells me (and anyone else that dares to try to help him do something) that "only daddy does it right!"  Lots of times I am more than willing to deflect my parental duties to the Geek (especially bathroom "issues") but sometimes his devotion to his papa gets on my last nerve.  But then he pulls out a "you're the best mama" and all is forgiven.

I can't believe it's been four years since God blessed me with a little prince.  I love him more each day and can't wait to see what awaits us in year five.

Happy (belated) Birthday Little Prince!  I Love You to the Moon and Back!

No comments: