Monday, May 7, 2012

Sometimes It's OK to Say No

Half of the troubles of this life can be traced to saying yes too quickly and not saying no soon enough
Josh Billings

My plate is full.  With three chicklets and my parents depending on me to meet so many of their daily needs, I have little time to do anything else.  It's tough, but it's a choice I made with lots of time in prayer and I know I can do this 'cause God's "got my back." 

The Geek and I were recently asked to lead a parenting Bible study group at our church.  We were praised for how we have nurtured our chicklets faith in our own home and encouraged to step up and share our experiences with others.  My first reaction was to do it, but it was quickly followed by panic and then ultimately, guilt.  It's hard for me to say no, especially when it feels like I am saying no to God.  I prayerfully considered the request though, and realized I just can't take on the responsibility of leading others at this time.  God has placed me in the role of caretaker for my immediate family and it is a full time job with little to no time off for good behavior.  To take on the additional charge of nurturing others --- even though it is a very worthy thing to do --- is just not something I can commit to right now.   I have a "guilt gene" that works overtime, but I know in my heart that sometimes it's OK to say no --- and I just have to accept that this is one of those times.

No comments: