Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Making Time

I have always had a tendency to put myself last.  I wouldn't call myself a martyr, just stupid actually.  Not making time for myself has gotten me in a heap o' trouble on more than one occasion. I do and say things that I'm not too proud of when I am under a load of stress.  I am slightly embarrassed to admit that I have even wound up in the hospital because of my failure to make rest a top priority in my life.

I am pretty darn sure we are all familiar with the "oxygen mask analogy" --- you need to put on your own first in order to be able to effectively help others with theirs --- but seriously, am I the only one who doesn't always do this in real life?  Surely someone else out there runs around like a chicken with its head cut off like yours truly, trying to get done all that needs to get done.  Why is it so hard to remember that taking the time to relax would make me even more productive.

Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop.
Ovid

The arrival of my parents and the additional demands of taking care of two more people has brought my need to "put on my own oxygen mask first" to the forefront. I can no longer afford to be neglectful of my own needs.  I realize that a case of the "grumpies" is the least of what could happen if I fail to take care of myself.  My health and my life will be in jeopardy if I don't pay heed and make making room for downtime a part of my everyday routine. 

The time to relax is when you don't have time for it.
Sydney J. Harris

It isn't going to always be convenient.  With six people in the house (not to mention outside obligations) clamoring for my attention, it's easy to put myself last.  But what is easy, is not good in the long run for myself or those who lean on me for support.

God didn't do it all in one day. What makes me think I can?
Author Unknown 

No comments: