Thursday, April 14, 2011

Why?

Why? why? why?

As a mama I can't even begin to tell you how many times I get asked that question.  Sometimes I have an answer and the little one is satisfied  Sometimes I don't have an answer and I have to say I just don't know.  That one is sometimes met with resistance, but is usually (if not reluctantly) accepted as well.  It's the times I choose not to give them an explanation or (heaven forbid) give the dreaded "Because I said so" that are the hardest for my chicklets to accept.  They cry, they fuss, they WANT AN ANSWER and they want it THEIR WAY!

Lots of things have been going on in my life lately and I find myself acting like my wee ones.  I ask God, "Why?" and He isn't giving me the response I want.  I cry, I fuss, I WANT AN ANSWER and I want it MY WAY! 

Why did one friend have to bury her young son today?  Why is another friend dying of cancer?  Why is there so much pain in peoples lives? Why? Why?Why?

A very good friend reminded me today of a Bible verse she often turns to in times like this.
 
"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the LORD.
"And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine." 
Isaiah 55:8
New Living Translation (©2007)

As humans we want answers.  We want to know "why" so we can do something about a situation.  But the reality is that just like our children have to accept our answers, we have to accept God's.  And for me right now, that's proving to be a really tough thing to do.

No comments: